There are two projects that will be taking place over the course of the summer in the McLennan-Redpath Complex (Humanities and Social Sciences Library):
McLennan Redpath Terrace Project – Phase 3
Timeline: June 3- November 30, 2013
The third and final phase of the McLennan-Redpath Terrace Renovation Project is slated to start on June 3rd, 2013 and is scheduled to be completed by the end of the Fall term. Demolition and reconstruction work will take place between 7am and 3pm, with heavy drilling to occur between 7 and 10am.
During the course of this project, Library access will only be available through the McLennan Library Building entrance. Due to health and safety concerns and to ensure that the project moves as swiftly as possible, the entire street level of the Redpath Library Building will be closed from June 3rd through August 30th.
Scope of work
- Renovation of Redpath Terrace facing lower field, in front of Redpath Library Building and Redpath Hall
- Completion of the resurfacing of the terrace to match phase 1 and 2 work
- Restructuring of the supporting walls
- Removal of the interior staircase leading down to food court
- Improvements to the alternate staircase located to the left of the entrance
- Interior and exterior doorways will also be moved slightly and replaced with new materials.
- Complete overhaul of the main Redpath Library entrance
Asbestos Work in the Redpath Library Building
Timeline: Asbestos abatement will occur from June 3rd to August 30th, 2013.
Scope of work
- Asbestos have been identified in the ceiling of Redpath Library main entrance and surrounding group study areas located on the main floor. Consequently, main doorways, hallways, stairways and group study spaces surrounding it will be completely wrapped, sealed off and inaccessible to ensure that staff and students are not exposed.
- Contractors will follow all the asbestos removal regulations as per the CSST standards.
Overall impact of both projects on students and staff:
- Humanities and Social Sciences Library accessible from campus only through McLennan Library Building doors
- From June 3rd to August 30th: the food court, Cyberthèque, Copy Centre, washrooms and access to the tunnel will be closed due to health and safety concerns
- Please note that the interior stairwell will be accessible, enabling our users to access the material housed in the Redpath open storage area in the basement of the Redpath Library Building
- The “Fishbowl” area and all other areas leading to the McLennan Library Building will not be affected by this work
- Signage will be created to redirect library users